[Mailman-Developers] Vcard .. at least i sample on this list :-)

Ron Jarrell jarrell@vt.edu
Tue, 07 May 2002 15:42:29 -0400

At 09:15 PM 5/7/02 +0200, Danny Terweij wrote:
>From: "Ron Jarrell" <jarrell@vt.edu>
>
>> >So my last final question about the subject, can it be solved at the
>mailman
>> >sources by developers?
>
>> No, because mailman is not doing anything wrong.  It's doing a perfectly
>legitimate mime attachment, which your client is choosing to display in a
>way you don't like.  If there's no setting in outlook you can change, you'd
>need to complain to microsoft (good luck), or change clients to one that
>works the way you want it to.
>

>Thats is not a good answer.
>Okay lets say it another way, can mailman just strip the whole VCARD and
>mime that belongs to the VCARD? Maybe a option for the list-owners/admins to
>set it on and off?
>I know that any of the developer can do this. I am very sure.
>I'll think that this new "option" is very pleased for microsoft users.
>
>Please?
>(not a personal please.. all my members, list owners/admins are in that word
>please..)

2.1b2 has a demime-ing option.  That might solve your issue.  Again, this is *not* a bug in mailman.  *ANYTHING* that sends you a similar valid multi-part mime message like that will trigger this in outlook. Note that this will also strip off all the stationary stuff that your users are using too.

Again, mailman *is not broken*.  It is operating in a completely standards compliant way.  Your client is, however, treating this standards compliant email in a stupid manner.

Essentially, what you're asking is, to please your users, for the mailman developers to *break* mailman for you.

Someone else suggested removing the list footer on your list.  That would mean mailman wouldn't have to attach it, and that might also solve the issue.

Check the faqs for using a separate "demime" program in your aliases file.  You might write a separate script that you use locally, either as a standalone in your aliases file, or as a pipeline module for mailman (if you know python), which hunts down and destroys vcards.  (Which I'd personally like on all mailing lists.  vcards annoy the crap out of me.)