[Mailman-Developers] Replybot change proposed

Barry A. Warsaw barry@zope.com
Tue, 21 May 2002 22:10:27 -0400

    >> Note this also tells me that we should be setting "Precedence:
    >> list" in our outgoing messages instead of "Precedence: bulk".
    >> Any objections?

    CVR> I would send out list messages Precedence: list, admin
    CVR> messages as bulk.

Okay, I'm with you there.

    CVR> If the password reminder is hooked up to the bounce
    CVR> processor, send it out first class, otherwise send it out
    CVR> bulk. (why? Because some sites don't send bounces to
    CVR> list/bulk mail, so the only way to do bounce hacking on those
    CVR> is to send a first class message, and the password message is
    CVR> perfect, if we do site-wide bounce processing on it...)

That's a little surprising.  The sendmail docs you quoted say:

      [...] Numbers less than zero have the special property that if
      an error occurs during pro- cessing the body of the message will
      not be returned; this is expected to be used for "bulk" mail
      such as through mailing lists.

which tells me that Precedence: bulk still gets a bounce returned, but
the body of the original message won't be included.  That's fine,
since we don't need the body to process the bounce.  Maybe you're
describing the behavior of other MTAs?

I'm inclined to send password reminders out as "Precedence: bulk",
although I /think/ it wouldn't be hard to do whatever we wanted here.

-Barry