[Mailman-Developers] mailman and voting

Marilyn Davis marilyn@deliberate.com
Sat Nov 16 08:13:33 2002

Thank you Barry.  I'm so glad you find it interesting.

A copy of the article that they are (finally) going to publish (maybe)
is at http://www.deliberate.com/eVote/papers/ljarticle.html.  You can
see that it talks about "majordomo" and I am to search-and-replace with
"mailman" and make it work.

I do have a question.  To milk mailman for password verification and
the list of addresses, I fork and exec to withlist, attaching
withlist's stdout to eVote's stdin to collect my answers. (eVote is
written in C.)  But withlist also writes to stderr - when there is no
error.  Might the mailman authors consider only writing to stderr when
there's an error?  It would be easier for me.  Or maybe you folks can
provide an argument to withlist that suppresses the stderr messages
that aren't errors. (I haven't figured out how to direct both streams
into my stdin within my C code.)

Another thought I'm having is that it would be nifty to carry eVote
through to the web interface.  Maybe we can do that one day.

For exim, because mailman is turned-on in the configuration file
rather than on a list-by-list basis, eVote comes to all the lists or
none.  Is this a bad thing?  Should the admin be allowed to toggle it
on her configuration page?

I'm feeling very good about this project.  Thank you so much for your
support.

Marilyn