[Mailman-Developers] [ mailman-Bugs-620208 ] authinfo before mode reader needed

noreply@sourceforge.net noreply@sourceforge.net
Tue, 08 Oct 2002 06:00:07 -0700

Bugs item #620208, was opened at 2002-10-08 09:00
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=100103&aid=620208&group_id=103

Category: nntp/news
Group: 2.0.x

Initial Comment:
My ISP just switched to giganews for NNTP service, and
my gate_news script stopped working - complaining about
authentication needed.  I tracked it down to the fact
that giganews' server gives a 480 authentication needed
error on the 'mode reader' command which mailman tries
to send before authentication.

I solved the problem for myself by editing
Mailman/pythonlib/nntplib.py  and changing the NNTP
constructor.   I simply moved the block that sends the
authinfo commands in front of the block that sends the
'mode reader' command, and everything worked.

I assume this is not the correct fix for this problem,
as other servers may not like the authinfo command
before the mode reader command.    Perhaps giganews'
server is broken, but it would be nice to work around
it.  Perhaps the authentication should be broken in to
its own subroutine, and have the code try
authentication whenever it gets a 480 authentication
required error.

I'm running mailman 2.0.13 on OpenBSD, with python
1.5.2, if it matters.

Thanks,

Scott