[Mailman-Developers] updated to CVS, and stuff broke....

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui@plaidworks.com
Sat, 12 Oct 2002 20:43:08 -0700

I updated my mailman to CVS tonight. a few things broke.

Looks like a couple of Defaults.py variables got added but weren't
added to Defaults.py on the update.

# Default action to take on filtered messages.
# 0 = Discard, 1 = Reject, 2 = Forward, 3 = Preserve
DEFAULT_FILTER_ACTION = 0

was one, and

# Whether to allow list owners to preserve content filtered messages to
# special queue on the disk.
OWNERS_CAN_PRESERVE_FILTERED_MESSAGES = 1

was, I believe, the other.

Then I went in and tried to turn on verping and personalization. When I
turned on personalization, it broke:

# Set this variable to 1 to allow list owners to set the "personalized"
flags
# on their mailing lists.  Turning these on tells Mailman to send
separate
# email messages to each user instead of batching them together for
delivery
# to the MTA.  This gives each member a more personalized message, but
can
# have a heavy impact on the performance of your system.
OWNERS_CAN_ENABLE_PERSONALIZATION = 1

then turn it on in the non-digest page for the list.

The verping values are:

VERP_PASSWORD_REMINDERS = 1

# Another good opportunity is when regular delivery is personalized.
Here
# again, we're already incurring the performance hit for addressing each
# individual recipient.  Set this to true to enable VERPs on all
personalized
# regular deliveries (personalized digests aren't supported yet).
VERP_PERSONALIZED_DELIVERIES = 1

# And finally, we can VERP normal, non-personalized deliveries.
However,
# because it can be a significant performance hit, we allow you to
decide how
# often to VERP regular deliveries.  This is the interval, in number of
# messages, to do a VERP recipient address.  The same variable controls
both
# regular and digest deliveries.  Set to 0 to disable occasional VERPs,
set to
# 1 to VERP every delivery, or to some number > 1 for only occasional
VERPs.
VERP_DELIVERY_INTERVAL = 10

# Set this to true to enable VERP-like (more user friendly)
confirmations
VERP_CONFIRMATIONS = 1

Once I turn it on through the admin page, it stops working with:

plaidworks.com 110# Oct 12 20:36:07 2002 (21778) Uncaught runner
exception: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'encode'
Oct 12 20:36:07 2002 (21778) Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Queue/Runner.py", line 105, in
_oneloop
     self._onefile(msg, msgdata)
   File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Queue/Runner.py", line 154, in
_onefile
     keepqueued = self._dispose(mlist, msg, msgdata)
   File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Queue/OutgoingRunner.py", line 61,
in _dispose
     self._func(mlist, msg, msgdata)
   File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Handlers/SMTPDirect.py", line 135,
in process
     msgdata['recips'] = chunk
   File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Handlers/SMTPDirect.py", line 287,
in verpdeliver
     # name is a byte string, convert it first to Unicode, given
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'encode'

if I turn that back off, the lsit starts working again.

--
Chuq Von Rospach, Architech
chuqui@plaidworks.com -- http://www.plaidworks.com/chuqui/blog/

No! No! Dead girl, OFF the table! -- Shrek