[Mailman-Developers] more 2.1b3++ MIME funnies.

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui@plaidworks.com
Sun, 13 Oct 2002 12:40:58 -0700

Okay, is this me, or mailman?

I have content filtering on. My blacklist is empty. my whitelist is:

multipart/alternative
text/plain
text/html

I have convert text/html to plain text on.

My lynx setup is:

> # Command that is used to convert text/html parts into plain text.
> This
> # should output results to standard output.  %(filename)s will contain
> the
> # name of the temporary file that the program should operate on.
> HTML_TO_PLAIN_TEXT_COMMAND = '/usr/local/bin/lynx -dump %(filename)s'
>
> plaidworks.com 119# lynx -version
> Lynx Version 2.8.4rel.1 (17 Jul 2001)
> Built on darwin6.0 Aug 28 2002 22:10:30
>
> Copyrights held by the University of Kansas, CERN, and other
> contributors.
> Distributed under the GNU General Public License.
> See http://lynx.browser.org/ and the online help for more information.

I'm finding that if someone sends a M/A message with a plain and an
html part, it's getting processed, and I'm getting a message going out
with two t/p parts, one the original, and one empty. Since the empty
one is second, it gets displayed.

So something is whacked out. I'm not sure what.

What are people doing for their black/whitelists? am I just building
this thing sideways?

What I'd like to be able to do (but can't) is allow M/A, t/plain and
t/html, and use the lynx to defang HTML going into the text (but not
MIME) digests. That seems the most reasonable set of compromises to
allow styled mail. Unfortunately, mailman can't be set up that way...

so my backup plan was to allow text/plain, convert html to text if the
text part didn't exist, and try to add features later. But I don't seem
to be quite right yet. For what I'm trying, I *think* I should be
whitelisting M/A and Text/Plain, but not text/HTMl. that screws people
who only send text/html without a plain part, but they probably
shouldn't do that anyway...

well, off to tweak the settings again....

--
Chuq Von Rospach, Architech
chuqui@plaidworks.com -- http://www.plaidworks.com/chuqui/blog/

The first rule of holes: If you are in one, stop digging.