[Mailman-Developers] more 2.1b3++ MIME funnies.

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui@plaidworks.com
Mon, 14 Oct 2002 23:51:08 -0700

>> Nope, because messages are processed for the two digests in the same
>> fell swoop.  I don't think it's ever come up before that you might
>> want different processing for the different digests, but that /does/
>> make sense.  ("Oh, TODO, please come here for a moment")

Yup. they really serve different purposes. One's designed for MIME, one
isn't. So (now, long after it makes sense to think of it for 2.1....)
making them separate processes now seems to make sense. but not for
2.1. If someone absolutely positively has to have full MIME with all
that stuff, they can force everyone to MIME digests, or do away with
digests. to me, it's what I call a "nice to have", not a "gotta have".

> And the archive represents a history of...
>    which version of the list...
>      non-digest, text digest, MIME digest???

to me, archives always ought to represent to non-digest. the digest
versions of things are convenient alternatives, but more or less by
definition altered versions. Now, a GOOD archive would store all of
that, but allow you the same general parsing restriction setup as
mailman now does (or wil).

> I do *not* think the above musings imply "don't do it."

Hey, nobody said that Mailman 2.1 was "it", and we could all go off and
stop working on it.... (giggle)

--
Chuq Von Rospach, Architech
chuqui@plaidworks.com -- http://www.plaidworks.com/chuqui/blog/

Stress is when you wake up screaming and you realize you haven't fallen
asleep yet.