[Mailman-Developers] Cron error messages

Barry A. Warsaw barry@python.org
Tue, 15 Oct 2002 22:13:19 -0400

    bronto> Since the original "bad marshal data" problem, I've
    bronto> upgraded to v2.1b3, so unless make install does not
    bronto> replace existing files I think my mailman installation
    bronto> should be OK now (?).  I will re-install python2 to make
    bronto> sure it's OK as well.

You should be ok, since the installation process forces a recompile of
all the pyc files.

    bronto> The remaining question is that of all the files in the
    bronto> shunt directory.  These must represent missing posts from
    bronto> the mailing list. Can these be recovered and processed?
    bronto> Is it simply a matter of moving them into a different
    bronto> directory?  To me, "shunt" sounds like "move these here
    bronto> because I can't deal with them".

Correct!  It shunt is there as a failsafe, so when an uncaught
exception occurs during the processing of a message, at least you
don't lose it -- there's a chance that the bug will be fixed and you
can "unshunt" the message.

Actually, there's a handy script, bin/unshunt that moves all the
messages from qfiles/shunt to the proper directory.  I run that
several times a day while I'm developing new code. :)

Just run bin/unshunt and watch your log files.

-Barry