[Mailman-Developers] ArchRunner is segfaulting

Barry A. Warsaw barry@python.org
Fri Oct 18 22:59:52 2002

    SB> I've found that my lock problem is caused by the ArchRunner
    SB> qrunner process segfaulting and leaving a lock hanging around.

We figured out what this was.  MacOSX users, listen up!

There is a known problem in Python related to deeply recursive regular
expressions on MacOSX, both 10.1 and 10.2.  The default stack size is
too small, which can cause Python to core dump.  Turns out, Stoney's
problem is related -- apparently pipermail tickles this bug.  We see
this as a crash in Python's test suite when runnng test_re.py and
test_sre.py.

The recommended work around is to boost your stack size to 2048 using
a tcsh or bash shell command, but that seems too inconvenient for a
daemon like Mailman.  Here is the Python code work around for problem:

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/download.php?group_id=5470&atid=305470&file_id=32837&aid=580869

I am going to add something like this to HyperArch.py, which should
run when either ArchRunner does its thing, or you run bin/arch.
Because it's wrapped in a "if sys.platform == 'darwin'" it should only
affect MacOSX users.  Could those of you running Mailman on OSX give
it a try and let me know if it fixes your problems?

Checkins coming momentarily.
-Barry