[Mailman-Developers] some mime filter notes...

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui@plaidworks.com
Thu Oct 24 18:11:42 2002

I know someone asked about this the other day and Barry pointed at me,
so...

I just made a change to how I do my mime filtering in 2.1b3+++, and I
thought I'd pass it along.

Since the text digests don't deal with html well right now, I've turned
all that off, so I'm using the mime filtering to get to a usable
text/plain part without destroying the message.

So on the filtering page of my lists, I'm set this way:

filter_content: yes.

filter_mime_types: empty

pass_mime_types:

multipart/alternative
multipart/mixed
text/plain

convert_html_to_plaintext: no

the change I made this morning was add the multipart/mixed to
pass_mime_types. turns out there are a couple of e-mail clients that
send out mail not as M/A, but as M/M, because they're attaching
non-text "things" to a text message (in this case, it was a .vcf file).
You need to allow in the multipart or the message is rejected, and then
all of the non text/plain pieces get stripped out of it, leading to the
text message (wrapped with various mime pieces).

This will probably be my default for 2.1 on my lists unless I run into
a new glitch. If I do, I'll pass it along, but I think the missing
M/mixed was the thing causing the last of my "messages are
disappearing" issues.

--
Chuq Von Rospach, Architech
chuqui@plaidworks.com -- http://www.plaidworks.com/chuqui/blog/

IMHO: Jargon. Acronym for In My Humble Opinion. Used to flag as an
opinion
something that is clearly from context an opinion to everyone except the
mentally dense. Opinions flagged by IMHO are actually rarely humble.
IMHO.
     (source: third unabridged dictionary of chuqui-isms).