[Mailman-Developers] some mime filter notes...

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui@plaidworks.com
Sat Oct 26 02:53:53 2002

On Friday, October 25, 2002, at 01:07  PM, Barry A. Warsaw wrote:

> I'm wondering if there are good values for defaults here.  I'm
> thinking specifically adding m/a, m/m, t/p to DEFAULT_PASS_MIME_TYPES
> in Defaults.py.in.

I think so. It seems to pass along what is "the best compromise" for
turning things into a text/plain message going out the other end, which
is (I think) what most list users really want.

I've seen one funky thing, which is that if you take a M/M and strip it
to a text/plain by removing the vcards and whatever else the mail
server was attached, I've been told that the message when sent to an (I
think) exchange server will turn the message footer into an attachment.
That seems to be an exchange/outlook "feature". Whether we want to
worry about that or not, I dunno.

But IMHO, that's the only glitch I've seen recently. My lists now seem
rock solid, and I'm quite happy with them. I've had one guy have
messages eaten because he was sending a text/html without a comparable
text/plain, so his messages were showing up blank. When I pointed it
out to him, he admitted he was simply hacking a web page into his
email, so he realizes that's his problem, not mine.

The personalization is confusing a few people and messing up some
people's filtering, but that's all working ot get people used to
things, and I've been telling people to use List-ID for filtering for a
year anyway... (grin).

I don't see any issues on my end. It's really stabilized nicely.

--
Chuq Von Rospach, Architech
chuqui@plaidworks.com -- http://www.plaidworks.com/chuqui/blog/

Stress is when you wake up screaming and you realize you haven't fallen
asleep yet.