[Mailman-Developers] VERP interval: why not time-based?

Greg Ward gward@python.net
Tue Oct 29 15:10:47 2002

Seems to me as though the obvious way to decide when it's time to VERP
another outgoing message is, "Has it been ~1 day since the last VERP
message", rather than, "Has it been N messages since the last VERP
message?"  This is based on the fact that, by default, only one bounce
per day counts.  Ie. if a list's bounce-removal parameters have not been
tweaked, then there's no difference between detecting 1 bounce or 10
bounces in a given day, but detecting 5 bounces in 5 days is highly
useful information.

Surely I'm not the only one who has thought of this -- was this wrangled
over months and months ago, or what?

        Greg
--
Greg Ward <gward@python.net>                         http://www.gerg.ca/
"Question authority!"  "Oh yeah?  Says who?"