[Mailman-Developers] Re: i18n support for Archiver

David Champion dgc@uchicago.edu
Tue, 3 Sep 2002 12:23:30 -0500

* On 2002.08.27, in <3D6B9EAB.B8F33FAE@nleaudio.com>,
*	"Bob Puff@NLE" <bob@nleaudio.com> wrote:
> > Easier to use one of the extended CDROM formats which supports long
> > filenames
>
> A few months ago I went through this with a customer who wanted a copy
> of the archives on CDROM from their list. The extended filenames work
> fine under Windows, but not under the MacOS. They have a different
> format for their extended filenames. The only common denominator I
> found was the 8.3 dos filenames.

For UNIX, you want Rock Ridge extensions. For MS, you want Joliet. For
MacOS, you want HFS. Combinations of these are commonly called "hybrid".
I haven't used Toast on the Mac, but I'd wager that it'll take care of
this. So does mkisofs (formerly mkhybrid) from the cdrtools software
(formerly cdrecord).

Mkisofs runs on most UNIXes, and will create a single-file hybrid
ISO-9660+extensions CD-ROM image track suitable for burning to disc with
any CD-R[W] software. Sincec cdrecord is included with it, you might
find it easiest to use; maybe not.

Search for "cdrecord schily -psychopath" in Google. It's a first hit, so
it's okay to feel lucky.

At one time not so long ago, VMS and HP-UX still required 8.3
filenaming, but I suspect they've both gone RR by now.

Solaris 9 now ships with mkisofs and Sun's own cd-recording program,
cdrw. I'd recommend something like:

    shell$ cd /path/to/image/root
    shell$ mkisofs -o /tmp/image.iso -V "Name of CD-ROM" -J -r -h .

-J adds Joliet records.
-r uses "rationalized" Rock Ridge extensions (uids are mapped to 0,
   permissions normalized).
-h adds HFS extensions

Mkisofs also lets you emplace El Torito, Sparc, and Apple boot images,
if that's important, and hide certain files from Joliet users or HFS
users exclusively.

So, anyway, with tools like that I don't see the added value of
switching to 8.3 filenames. :)

--
 -D.			We establised a fine coffee. What everybody can say
 Sun Project, APC/UCCO	TASTY! It's fresh, so-mild, with some special coffee's