[Mailman-Developers] feature request: new option for reply_goes_to_list

Marc MERLIN marc_news@merlins.org
Wed, 11 Sep 2002 14:12:05 -0700

On Wed, Sep 11, 2002 at 09:58:29PM +0200, Simone Piunno wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 08, 2002 at 06:19:21PM -0700, Marc MERLIN wrote:
>
> > > (yeah, I know that reply-to munging is considered harmful but I consider
> > > more important to keep discussions inside the lists and anyway this has
> >
> > I'm just amazed at how many times I've read this complete nonsense.
>
> Marc, I see you are the only one fighting my request and I have
> 3 people saying it's ok for them.

I'm opposing the incorrect statement, not the feature.

> We already have a big disclaimer stating the reasons why people
> should choose reply-to-poster, including a link to a detailed
> document.  Don't you think this is enough to educate people?

You'd think. People wiz right through it looking for the "where do I click
to override"

> Don't you think that people aware of the problem can have still
> valid reasons to choose another option in their environment?

I don't honestly care that much, but I do care about the "since we have to
use reply-to for discussion lists" kind statements.
What mucking around you want to do with the Reply-To header doesn't really
matter, it just further encourages its (mis)use

> > What  you all  are doing  is furthering  people's ignorance  of their
> > mail clients functionality  and preventing people  from replying
>
> This is no longer true.
> Thanks to the multiple reply-to feature we're preventing nothing.

Sorry, not true.
When you set a reply-to to any value, you are preventing the user to chose
between reply to list/all or just replying to the original sender.
Reply-To is typically  not conditional (except for good MUAs  like mine that
can be told to ignore it altogether)

You are also try to further mis-teach people to use the reply function to
magically do the right thing in all cases (which of course it can't)

> Agreed, but what I want to develop is a feature where Mailman simply
> suggests "The Right Thing", without removing your freedom degree.

Reply-To is not a suggestion, it's a redirection of the answer.

Marc