[Mailman-Developers] suggestion for two important (I think) features

Mentor Cana mentor at alb-net.com
Sat Apr 5 10:49:09 EST 2003

Barry,

Recently I started shopping for some web hosting service and obviously was
looking for a web hosting service that uses mailman for mailing lists
management.

Soon realized that all of these services have installed one instance of
Mailman and serve the lists for the various domains using some sort of
scripting and the virtual domain functionality in Mailman.

Now, not being able to have control of the Mailman installation, there
are two problems related to those who would like to move a list with its
archives and listmembers from one hosting service to another.

1. Without admin help a listowner can't move the archives of a list from
   one hosting service to another. This can be resolved by providing an
   "Upload old archive" option/button under "Archiving Options" and after
   the 'old' archive is uploaded successfully, the bin/arch command is run
   for that list. We already have the capability to download full archives,
   i.e. the *.mbox raw file.
   In addition, this removes some work from the Mailman admin and into the
   hands of the listowners.

2. Also, without the help of the Mailman admin, a listowner can't get the
   full list of listmembers. A button "E-mail me the raw list of
   listmembers" can run the "bin/list_members" for the list and e-mail it
   to the list admin from the list's configuration.

Any thoughts?

thanks,
Mentor