[Mailman-Developers] English (USA)

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Sun Apr 20 01:20:20 EDT 2003

Since John, Ken, and I are all American, I think it's only mildly
surprising <wink> that all the source code human readable text, and the
en templates are written in American English.

As for supporting alternative dialects, there is a fairly concrete
standard in the i18n world, however Mailman doesn't support it very
well.  A language specification, e.g. in HTTP's HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGES
header, can have a language, a country, and a variant.  An example might
be en_US or de_DE_PREEURO.  In Mailman we have pt and pt_BR for
Portuguese and Brazilian Portuguese.

However, what you'd want is for pt_BR for example to simply contain the
overrides to pt, or en_UK to contain just the overrides for en.  That
way a British translation of Mailman would only need those few entries
that are different than American English (glossing over en_US for now).
I definitely want to add this in a future release.

For now, a non-American English translation would have to do all the
work that any other translation would have to do (see README-I18N.en)
except that you have an advantage.  If you leave a message or template
untranslated, it uses the default source string, which in this case is
American English. :)

I'm not in favor of changing the label from "English (USA)".