[Mailman-Developers] Header & Footer for non-ASCII messages

Simone Piunno pioppo at ferrara.linux.it
Wed Apr 23 01:32:27 EDT 2003

On Tue, Apr 22, 2003 at 03:21:11PM -0700, Ben Gertzfield wrote:

> >Uhm, you can decode both into Unicode, paste them together and then
> >encode the result again in either the mailing lists default charset
> >or UTF-8.

I'd suggest trying this sequence for charset down-conversion:
 - plaintext (e.g. us-ascii)
 - the list's default charset
 - utf-8

maybe just before utf-8 we could have a per-language (or per-list)
configurable array of preferred fallbacks, just to kill every other
complaint :)

> This is a definite possibility.  But then we risk changing the actual
> contents of the message -- transforming everything to UTF-8 and back
> is not an operation that's guaranteed one-to-one.

Absolutely agreed, so the whole procedure should be a per-list option,
defaulting to off.

--
 Simone Piunno -- http://members.ferrara.linux.it/pioppo
.-------  Adde parvum parvo magnus acervus erit  -------.