[Mailman-Developers] English (USA)

Fil fil at rezo.net
Wed Apr 23 23:19:50 EDT 2003

In our project, SPIP (www.uzine.net/spip), we're using a similar list,
but in which every language is identified in its own writing. When two
translations belong to the same ISO family, we just use the branches pt_BR
and pt_PT, whereas when only one translation belongs to the family we use
just the family code (and name), unflavoured. This can help groups join in a
common effort, then split *if* needed. (However, we don't have that much
experience to say if it works; but it's really an exciting process).

BTW, and slightly off-topic, the usual translation tools were really too
clumsy to use (you can't expect translators to know which one to choose, and
to install it and understand it -- at least it raises the bar too high --,
plus you want to have a team effort, so you need people to be able to tap
the same translation database). We finally decided to build a translation
website with lists of "strings awaiting for translation" in every language,
and a web interface to edit them. It works really well.

@ M.-A. Lemburg <mal at lemburg.com> :
> Barry Warsaw wrote:
> >On Wed, 2003-04-23 at 08:30, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> >

> >>Why not stick to the standard English language names ?
> >
> >Good idea, thanks for the link!
>
> Here's the complete list I'm using (collected from various sources):
>
> #
> # Mapping tables
> #
> # Keys must language names. The tables themselves must map
> # ISO codes using lowercase letters only to language names.
> #

-- Fil