Challenge-Response (Re: [Mailman-Developers] Non-member post confirmation)

Terri Oda terri at zone12.com
Wed Aug 27 13:31:15 EDT 2003

On Thu, Aug 21, 2003 at 05:39:19PM +0300, Madsen Wikholm wrote:
> While reading an article about spam-prevention it hit me that one way to
> easily cut down on spam on an open list, would be to have mailman send out a
> confirmation message for non-member posts. If the sender confirms then,
> address gets added to the accept_these_nonmembers, if not the message gets
> dropped after some time and the adress perhaps added to
> discard_these_nonmembers.

That'd be handy.  I wouldn't mind seeing a patch for that, or helping if
necessary (though I should be careful about volunteering time since I'm
starting a new job in September and haven't a clue how much time I'll
have... there's still documentation I want to write.)

On a related note -- have other people been having trouble with
challenge-response using susbscribers on their lists?  Linuxchix has had
some "Dear grrltalk-bounces" messages which are kinda annoying.  We can't
really take the time to jump through those hoops and read every uncaught
bounce, so we've just asked people to whitelist us themselves.

 Terri