[Mailman-Developers] Non-member post confirmation

Madsen Wikholm madsen at iki.fi
Thu Aug 28 11:00:17 EDT 2003

* Barry Warsaw (barry at python.org) wrote:
> Robert Millan mentioned ASK, which I hadn't heard about before, but it
> also makes me think of TMDA.

Yupp, challenge/response was exactly what I was thinking of. One could
ofcourse use the TMDA or ASK for this but being included in mailman directly
would simplify the process very much.

I'm not really for using the challenge/response system for personal mail since
I get much mail from unknown senders. But for a list that would normally be
open it would cut down on the spam. I used to have my lists open but due to
spam I've closed them which generates a lot of approval messages :-(

One could argue that you could as well subscribe to the list if you want to
send a mail to it but then you get all the rest of the mail that you might not
be interested in.

> I'd really like to add something like this, perhaps including a
> subscription option (likely via a web confirmation).

In additon to the full subscription option there could perhaps be a thread
subscription which would subscribe the sender to only receive mails from the
thread started by him/her. This might become somewhat heavy though.

> We'd put a governor on the confirmation offerings so forged virus bombs
> wouldn't inundate the innocent.

Not that I need to know but what do you mean with governor?

just my 2 cents
madsen