[Mailman-Developers] Non-member post confirmation

Brad Knowles brad.knowles at skynet.be
Thu Aug 28 23:42:40 EDT 2003

At 10:21 AM -0400 2003/08/28, Barry Warsaw wrote:

>  Another thing I'd like to do is to make it an option to free all the
>  held messages of someone who posted before they were a member, and then
>  became a member, without explicit admin approval.

	I'd also like to see an update to the spam checking.

	For example, for closed lists, I'd like to have a default action
of holding the message if it comes from a subscriber and matches the
spam regex.  But I'd like to have a default action of discarding the
message if it comes from a non-subscriber and matches the spam regex.

>>  Not that I need to know but what do you mean with governor?
>
>  Ah, a regulator.  I.e. something that stops Mailman from sending too
>  many confirmation messages during a certain period of time.  There are
>  actually already such things in the autoresponder, but more of the
>  system needs to be put on it.

	There is already the option "Should the list moderators get
immediate notice of new requests, as well as daily notices about
collected ones?", which I was very grateful to be able to turn off.

	I also made the source-code modification so that the default
action for held messages is "discard" as opposed to "defer".  This
way, I can get rid of hundreds of held messages in a single button
click.  Yes, more dangerous, but a lifesaver during the recent
SoBig.F mess.

	But I'd prefer not to get most of those held messages in the
first place, since they were from non-subscribers and definitely
matched the spam regex (after a bit of tweaking the SpamAssassin
configuration).