[Mailman-Developers] AOL 9.0 categorizing mailman verification messages as SPAM

Ken Stillson tech at point0.net
Mon Dec 15 15:51:29 EST 2003

  Hey folks,

  I just got off the phone with someone in the postmaster group at AOL...

  I was calling them because recently all the subscription verification
  messages being generated from my lists are getting categorized a SPAM for
  AOL 9.0 users, and most of them aren't thinking to check their SPAM
  folders.

  The fellow mentioned that long random-looking alpha-numeric strings in the
  subject line are one of the things that triggers their filter.

  Are folks here aware of this issue?  AOL suggested moving the verification
  "cookie" from the subject line to the contents of the message

  Realizing that mailman can't be specialized to meet every quirk of every
  ISP;  but AOL isn't just any ISP, for me anyway, some 80% of my
  subscription requests for my several dozen lists come from there.

  Any thoughts?  Thanks!

    - Ken Stillson
      System Administrator
      Point0.net