[Email-SIG] Re: [I18n-sig] Re: [Mailman-Developers] Re: [Mailman-checkins] mailman/misc CJKCodecs-1.0.tar.gz, NONE, 1.1.2.1 .cvsignore, 2.2, 2.2.2.1 Makefile.in, 2.33.2.3, 2.33.2.4 paths.py.in, 2.6, 2.6.2.1 JapaneseCodecs-1.4.9.tar.gz, 2.1, NONE KoreanCodecs-2.0.5.tar.gz, 2.1, NONE

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Wed Dec 31 09:01:54 EST 2003

On Tue, 2003-12-30 at 22:58, Anthony Baxter wrote:
> > But I do still think this is an appropriate patch for Python 2.3.x,
> > since it really isn't a new feature.  This change should be appropriate
> > whether you continue to use the old (and unsupported) Korean and Chinese
> > codecs, with the alternative (and supported) Japanese codec, or whether
> > you decide to use the combined CJKCodecs package.  At its heart the
> > patch actually removes unnecessary dependencies on the separate Asian
> > codec packages.  Since they all provide aliases, this will make the
> > Charset.py file independent of the codec package being used.
>
> I guess the deciding thing (for me) is that code written to use Python
> 2.3.4 (and the new codec work) should work on Python 2.3.x (x<4). I
> really don't want to see another repeat of the 2.2.2 fiasco (where
> code written for 2.2.2 wouldn't work on 2.2.1 or 2.2, because of the
> new True/False objects). I've seen far, far too much code that's had
> to do
>
>   try:
>       True, False
>   except:
>       True = 1
>       False = 0

Since I don't actually use the codecs, except in the context of Mailman
and even then I couldn't tell you what all those pretty graphics mean, I
think we have to ultimately defer to the experts.  But I don't /think/
its nearly as bad as this.

This change is useful even if you are using the older codecs and decide
to stick with them.  They define the necessary aliases to make this all
work, so the dependencies on the japanese and korean package names
aren't necessary.