[Mailman-Developers] Re: I hate the 1st of the month.

David Champion dgc at uchicago.edu
Sat Feb 1 18:15:17 EST 2003

* On 2003.02.01, in <5.1.0.14.2.20030201145755.064badb0 at lennier.cc.vt.edu>,
*	"Ron Jarrell" <jarrell at vt.edu> wrote:

> Just venting. I'm in my monthly "God, I *hate* the password reminder
> scheme" phase. I get over it in a few days. But for the next 48 hours
> or so I'm dealing with a stream of people who reply to mailman-owner
> with a "please take me off the list" note, leaving me to send back
> endless streams of form letters along the lines of "Look, Jane, you
> ignorant slut, read the damn note and unsubscribe your own damn self,
> I don't even know which *list* you're on!"

I used to hate the first of the month. We used to get several
thousand bounces and several dozen "take me off" messages each month
around the 1-3. Then I wrote an autoresponder and attached it to
mailman-ignore at listhost.uchicago.edu, and rewrote the monthly reminder
to send reminders from that address. (It also no longer send passwords,
just list names and contact addresses/URLs.)

Mailman-ignore@ does mail loop protection, and returns boilerplate
to the effect that we told you we'd ignore replies, and we are. It
reiterates directions for common problems, with a little more detail
than the instructions in the password reminder, and describes some
things such as unsub/resub for changing your address. At the bottom, it
tells people to contact mailman-owner at listhost... directly if they're
still unsatisfied.

We get perhaps 5-10 responses each month now, and by and large
they're reasonable requests, not people who simply failed to read the
directions.

It's saved me $thousands in medical charges not covered by my plan, not
to mention legal fees.

--
 -D.               "Jobs are created when... Americans have more money...
 dgc at uchicago.edu   and the best way to make sure Americans have that money