[Mailman-Developers] Option to supress "msg has implicit dest" behaviour?

Mike Lempriere mikel at vintners.net
Sun Feb 16 10:32:18 EST 2003

I would really like to see an option to disable the "message has implicit
destination" behaviour.  Here's why:

I run several lists for each of several Internet domains.  I do this by
having each list having a specific name which includes the domain, eg.:
  domain1-members
  domain2-members

My sendmail virtusertable then has an entry to redirect "members" to the
list:
  members at domain1.org	members-domain1 at vintners.net
  members at domain2.org	members-domain2 at vintners.net

Thus, the list members need not include the redundant domain name in the
list name:
  members at domain1.org
works, as well as:
  members-domain1 at domain1.org

(Perhaps there's a better way to achieve this configuration, where mailman
is serving multiple domains -- please feel free to point me in the right
direction.)

In majordomo this configuration worked just fine as it wasn't smart enough
to care.  mailman on the other hand, does a better job protecting its
lists, and rightly disallows implicit addressing.  For some lists I run,
this is desirable behaviour.

However, as described above, I'm willing to accept the tradeoff of not
doing this checking in order to allow aliasing for some other lists.

So, my feature request would be to add a checkbox on a config. page that
allows control of this checking.

Thanks for listening!

--
Mike Lempriere; http://vintners.net/~mikel/
WA State resident: junk email prohibited by law: RCW19.190 & RCW19.86