[Mailman-Developers] experienced newbie here...

Kasper Daniel Hansen K.Hansen at biostat.ku.dk
Thu Feb 27 15:48:20 EST 2003

On Fredag den 21. februar 2003 05:55, dancerboy wrote:
> Hello all!
>
> I've just been contracted to modify a specific mailman installation
> so that email addresses cannot be harvested by spammers.  Rather than
> go and do the mods completely on my own, I decided it would make more
> sense to coordinate my efforts with the larger open-source developer
> community.
>
> About me:  I've been writing code since I was 8 years old.  I've done
> a *lot* of development in Perl; significant amounts in C++, Java,
> JavaScript, and PHP; and smaller amounts in quite a few other
> languages (Pascal, DCL, assembler, VB, etc.).  I pick up computer
> languages *very* quickly, so I don't think I'll have any trouble
> learning enough Python to get this job done.  However, I'm entirely
> new to this open-source collaboration thing -- I have only the
> vaguest idea of how to use CVS, for example -- so I hope someone can
> point me to the information I'll need so as not to make a complete
> ass of myself :)
>
> I noticed in the TODO list there was one item about creating a form
> interface to discourage email harvesting.  Is there a more detailed
> spec for this project available? or has it not been nailed down any
> more than what's listed on the TODO page?  I'm not sure if this will
> satisfy my client's requirements, but it seems to be a good place to
> start.

I'm a mailman newbie myself but please note that it is currently possible to
prohibit email harvesting using the privacy options. If you in addition make
the archive private (see my recent post) this ought to be good enough. Note
that this is possible using the webinterface availible to the lists
administrator (or using the comman line). If these options does not seem to
be availible - are you sure you're running the newest version?

/Kasper