[Mailman-Developers] mailmanctl -s arg on service start

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Mon Jan 27 12:40:10 EST 2003

The mailman script which is used to start/stop/restart the mailman
daemon invokes mailmanctl with the -s argument when starting the
service. This argument purportedly is for stale lock clean up. One
consequence of passing this arg during a service start is that
mailmanctl bypasses the lockfile check. My understanding of the lockfile
is to prevent multiple instances of the daemon to be run. But by passing
the -s argument if someone does a "mailman start" more than once then
there will be multiple instances of mailmanctl and its child qrunner
processes running on the system rather than just one mailmanctl and its
child qrunners. Issuing a "stop" only terminates the most recent
mailmanctl and leaves the other mailman daemons effectively orphaned
from a service point of view, these service instances can only be
removed by killing their pid.

If the -s is not passed as part the "start" invocation mailmanctl will
enforce having only a single daemon. This is what I would expect to be
the desired behavior. So my question is why is -s the "default" in 2.1?
Should it be removed?

John