[Mailman-Developers] moderating with umbrella lists

Marisa Riviere marisa at stat.umn.edu
Thu Jul 24 18:56:38 EDT 2003

I am running mailman 2.1.2.  I needed to update to this version
in order to have the option for:

 "List of non-member addresses whose postings should be automatically"

working to allow users from my system to write to a set of lists
without moderator's approval.

My expression to filter users is:

  ^.*@stat.umn.edu

Now that this works I am experimenting with "umbrella" lists.
I set up the -owner option in all lists, umbrella list and
sublists. Mail from people from my domain "cascades" well trough
all the lists but mail from people from other domains which
require moderator's action for the initial umbrella list
seems to require moderator's action as well in all the sublists.

I understand from the documentation that I can set up the lists
in a way such that once I approve a messages from a user who is
not in the .stat.umn.edu domain for the umbrella list, the
messages should "cascade" to the others because of the CC and TO fields.

But I can not get this to work!  What am I doing wrong?

Bellow is a description of my settings.

In a set of lists nested as:

            umbrella
           |         |
   umbrella1          umbrella2
   |       |          |        |
people1   people2     people1   people2

I set in all lists the -owner notification option and include the
sublists as members. In each sublist I have the field:

"Must posts have list named in destination (to, cc) field (or be among the
acceptable alias names, specified below)? "

set to "Yes"

I also set the umbrella list(s) names for each given sublist in:

"Alias names (regexps) which qualify as explicit to or cc destination
names for this list. "

For example in the list called "people1" which

For example in the list called "people1" which
is a sublist of umbrella1 and umbrella2 this looks like:

^umbrella1 at stat.umn.edu
^umbrella2 at stat.umn.edu
^umbrella at stat.umn.edu

I also did a try with

 ^.*@stat.umn.edu

and without the ^ character, etc. etc. I hope I may be having a problem
with how I define expressions for Phyton and I do not need to upgrade
again!  --  ;)

Can any one please help me?  Thank you.

--
Marisa Riviere