[Mailman-Developers] Re: Cutting "Received:" headers

Tom Neff tneff at bigfoot.com
Sat Jun 14 15:07:10 EDT 2003

I had written:
> In the meantime, any site admin who wants to do this kind of cleaning can
> easily insert "formail" or "reformail" into the alias pipeline for the
> posting address.  These are utilities supplied with "procmail" and
> "maildrop" respectively, and widely available on the Net.

to which Barry replied:

and then I said:
> Yeah, but that's a lot more forking for a little bit of work...

and now I want to clarify the above: I thought Barry meant you could throw an
exec of 'formail' into the Mailman pipeline.  This wouldn't mean more forking
than my in-the-alias method, but both methods have a lot more process churn
than just stripping the headers in the Mailman code.

On rereading it's clear that Barry also means you could do it in code but in
a handler.  That's great, but I'd think you'd still want a per-list option,
and/or an exact list of headers to retain in the mm_cfg.

What am I doing reading this digest when the sun finally came out!  Bye :)