[Mailman-Developers] Re: odd problem: since MM 2.1 upgrade all links to public listarchives are broken

Chris Dagdigian dag at sonsorol.org
Wed Mar 19 10:23:09 EST 2003

Replying to my own message since the problem has been fixed and I'd like
to get the solution into the archives in case any long-time mailman
users get bitten by the same bug.

We _were_ bitten by cruft hanging around from previous mailman
installations :)

The culprit was a "mm_cfg.py" file that had not been touched or
overwritten by a mailman upgrade install since early 2000.

That file contained "old" mailman config settings including this line:
PUBLIC_ARCHIVE_URL = '/pipermail'

This was what was screwing up the URLs to our archives in the listinfo
HTML.

It seems that (not sure for how long now) much of this stuff is supposed
to be in Mailman/Defaults.py

Our solution was to blow away mm_cfg.py and replace it with the generic
mm_cfg.py.disg from the mailman 2.1.1 installer. We then edited
Mailman/Defaults.py to update our default server name and all is well.

-Chris

--
Chris Dagdigian, <dag at sonsorol.org>
BioTeam Inc. - Independent Bio-IT & Informatics consulting