[Mailman-Developers] Re: Mailman-Developers External user database

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Thu May 1 22:03:23 EDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-05-01 at 16:12, Charlie Clark wrote:

> We are currently using a generic RDBMS adapter which is available
> (commercially) from the developer; I assume there are others out there.
> This is a non-trivial piece of work so I think it may be a while before it
> is part of core mailman. I cannot recommend using MySQL for this because it
> will not enforce data integrity which is one of the key reasons for using
> an RDBMS in my view another being size: our lists are due to get very, very
> big (100.000 + users) I think Mailman's data store gets pretty bloated on
> such lists.

Yep, see my previous posting about the bloat issue.  Mailman has to load
the entire user database into memory to act on it and this sucks.

The other issue is that updates to the list data and by extension the
user data should be transactionally protected.  This is possible in
Mailman 2.1.2 although it may not be completely obvious.  The BerkeleyDB
adaptor in cvs utilizes this.