[Mailman-Developers] Residual bounce/Unsubscribe

David Birnbaum davidb at chelsea.net
Thu May 22 16:49:19 EDT 2003

Howdy,

I am trying to determine if this is a bug or if I simply do not understand
how unsubscriptions due to bounces are handled.

I am managing a list with almost 20,000 members.  Naturally, addresses
regularly go bad on the list and start to bounce.  For whatever reason,
though, unsubscriptions seem to take a long time to finally goes through.
For example, here is an address that seems to have finally bounced off:

bounce:May 22 09:01:34 2003 (10857) Notifying disabled member user at feist.com for list: ZZZ
bounce:May 22 09:01:34 2003 (10857) ZZZ: user at feist.com deleted after exhausting notices
subscribe:May 22 09:01:34 2003 (10857) ZZZ: deleted user at feist.com; disabled address
bounce:May 22 09:43:11 2003 (11006) ZZZ: user at feist.com residual bounce received

But when I actually go look at the list, the member is still there:

stella bin 12 $ list_members ZZZ | grep user at feist.com
user at feist.com

Sometimes, the member will ultimately get removed.  But it seems to take
quite a long time, and I get a number of notifications that the removal
has occurred before it finally seems to become permanent.  I haven't been
able to discern a pattern in determining when a user actually gets removed
permanently or not.  I wonder if it has something to do with the "residual
bounce", or not.  Perhaps Mailman is not properly discarding those extra
bounces?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or pointers.

David.