[Mailman-Developers] Integration with a separate RDBMS

Jon Ball jonball at cix.co.uk
Sat May 24 18:25:43 EDT 2003

An organisation I'm a member of is setting up a mailing list server to host
many mailing lists that for various overlapping groups of its members.

Looking at the info at list.org Mailman seems ideal as web-based maintenance
of the lists is a requirement.

The complication is that the organisation has a commercial (boo hiss)
membership system that already stores all members' email addresses and it is
important that each member's email address is only stored once.

The membership data is stored in an RDBMS (SQL Server I think).

Two questions for the assembled experts:

1. Has anyone already set up Mailman using email addresses stored in an
external database, and ideally can point to code and a working example on
the www?  THIS IS VERY MUCH THE PREFERRED ANSWER.

2. Can someone speculate on the feasibility of doing this and the amount of
work involved?  If it would require any serious hacking to Mailman, it is
probably not going to be feasible to use Mailman at this organisation at all
as they have no in-house programming skills.

Thanks,

Jon