[Mailman-Developers] modifying mailman's source

Wesley T. Perdue wes at greenfieldnetworks.com
Wed May 28 15:53:31 EDT 2003

All,

I need to call an external script whenever a mailing list's membership changes.  I'd like to pass the name of the modified list to my script.

I've spent some time studying the Mailman source, and I think the file I need to modify is ~mailman/Mailman/MailList.py.  I think the functions that need to be modified are functions ApprovedAddMember, ApprovedDeleteMember, and ChangeMemberAddress.

Here are the two lines that I'd like to add to the above functions:

        metacmd= '~mailman/scripts/my-script.pl' + ' ' + self
        os.system(metacmd)

Does this look correct?

I'm using Mailman 2.1.2 in Linux.

BTW, my external script is a solution for automatically maintaining nested lists, written in Perl.  I'll share it with the world once I get it working.

Thanks,
Wes