[Mailman-Developers] bugtraq submission warning: email address harvesting exploit

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Thu Nov 27 13:32:10 EST 2003

On Wed, 2003-11-26 at 05:36, Bernhard Kuemel wrote:

> It is my impression that python is slow, at least it has a
> lengthy startup. It may still be suitable for certain tasks,
> however I have no idea which as I don't speak python. Mailman was
> run once per minute from cron on my old server. Maybe Mailman was
> coded inefficiently. However, I read it scales better than
> Majordomo, a perl program. That difference is probably a design
> issue rather than to blame on the programming language.

We don't need to get into lengthy language wars here, but I submit that
there's no practical difference in performance between Python and Perl,
especially in the problem domain that Mailman addresses.  Anyone who
wants to recode Mailman in C, Java, ML, Haskell, Smalltalk, Objective-C,
C++, Perl, Ruby or whatever has my blessing (just don't call it Mailman
:).

see-you-in-10-years-ly y'rs,