[Mailman-Developers] Log file rollovers

Nadim Shaikli shaikli at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 9 20:34:51 EDT 2003

--- John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com> wrote:
> You didn't say on what type and version the system is, which is
> important because things like log file rollovers aren't really part of
> mailman proper but rather are done as part of the system specific

Sorry about that.  I'm on a debian box running 'debian testing (sarge)'

 uname -a: Linux pi 2.4.21 #2 Tue Jul 15 21:49:17 PDT 2003 i686 GNU/Linux

The installed debianized mailman package info,

  Package: mailman
  Installed-Size: 21352
  Maintainer: Tollef Fog Heen <tfheen .at. debian -dot- org>
  Version: 2.1.2-6

> installation. I do know that for a while we (Red Hat) had a bug with log
> file rotation in our RPM, that was fixed about 6 months ago. However the
> bug I'm aware of does not seem like what you are describing. The bug we
> fixed would keep generating new files with an extra digit appended to it
> till it eventually filled the file system, e.g. the file log would
> become log.1, then log.1.1, then log.1.1.1 rather than log.2. Exact
> details may vary as I'm going from memory.
>
> Best thing for you to do is let us know the exact type of system, the
> contents of /etc/logrotate.conf and /etc/logrotate.d/mailman (assuming
> you have a system with this version of logrotate.

I'm attaching the logrotate files per your suggestion.

Nothing looked out of place to me.  The file is being created correctly,
I'm just surprised that mailman would even touch a non-existent as far as
its concerned (mailman know not about post.1 and logrotate) unless the
file-handler is kept in a constant open state by mailman or something.

Let me know what you find out.

Thanks.

 - Nadim