[Mailman-Developers] Mailman/SpamBayes integration?

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Fri Oct 17 15:15:17 EDT 2003

I seem to recall that one of the original motivations for SpamBayes was to
support spam filtering within Mailman (or nearby, if not within).  Has
anyone taken steps to more tightly integrate the two aside from doing
something like running sb_filter.py in front of Mailman's processing?  I
think SpamBayes is stable enough at this point to consider integrating the
SpamBayes classifier and the web interface to the POP3 proxy with Mailman's
engine and administrative interface.

I know Greg Ward has done some interesting stuff running SpamBayes in front
of many of the mailing lists on mail.python.org.  While that's a good first
step, I find it a bit incomplete because as a list admin.  I can't do
anything to control how incoming messages are scored.  Ideally, I should be
able to train the classifier on mails actually sent to (for example)
python-help at python.org.

I'd consider taking a look at the problem on my own, but I've never even
peeked at the Mailman code and don't have any idea where to plug SpamBayes
into it.  I do know the SpamBayes code to a certain degree and would be
happy to work with someone who is familiar with the guts of Mailman to
integrate the two tools.

Skip