[Mailman-Developers] Re: Bounce removal parameters default values

Greg Stark gsstark at mit.edu
Thu Oct 23 10:20:37 EDT 2003

"John A. Martin" <jam at jamux.com> writes:

> If any mail is rejected or bounced (ie, initially accepted for
> delivery but later a DSN is returned indicating a delivery failure)
> then that is a delivery failure.  If you do not like what your
> receiving mail systems reject or bounce that is not a Mailman problem.

I like very much that the mail systems reject virus and worm mails. I don't
like that mailman extrapolates from that failure to assuming the mailbox is
broken and it should unsubscribe it. That's bogus.

Mailman should not take any such drastic action purely on the basis of a
bounce from a message with content it didn't control. It has no idea *why* the
message bounced and no idea whether it means future messages will bounce or
not.

--
greg