[Mailman-Developers] Memory resource issue with new 2.1.3 BounceRunner

John john at momsview.com
Fri Oct 24 20:14:50 EDT 2003

While testing 2.1.3 on a recent mailing I discovered that the BounceRunner process had grown to 400 megabytes!

This recent mailing generated a very large number of bounces due to a problem I was having with aol.com

The new BounceRunner pre-processes all bounces by building an in memory dictionary with the bounce information.
Unfortunately there are no limits placed on the number of bounces that are added to this dictionary.
In this case, I received over 10,000 bounces which required over 400 megabytes of RAM to hold.
Needless to say my machine slowed to a crawl and continued to add to the structure since it couldn't empty the qfiles/bounces directory fast enough.

I think we need a limit on the number of bounces added to this in memory structure regardless of the number of bounces in qfiles/bounces.

John
Co webmaster
momsview.com