[Mailman-Developers] Requirements for a new archiver

PieterB PieterB at gewis.nl
Mon Oct 27 17:08:54 EST 2003

On Mon, Oct 27, 2003 at 12:00:57PM +0000, Iain Bapty wrote:
> Which of the functional requirements, 6 to 13, do you feel are the most
> important?

I think they are all quite basic. I think personally 10 and 12 are
'should-haves' in my opinion.

Also have a look at the "SMART Archiver" project,
http://sourceforge.net/projects/smartarchiver/

	A replacement for the standard GNU Mailman archiver that
	supports attachments, searching, date selection, message
	editing and more, requires a database such as postgressql
	(mysql support is coming in a future version)

> Is there anything obvious that I have missed?

Other requirements you might consider:

- db support for Zope, http://zope.org

- support for mime-attachements (PDF, Word, etc.)

- to be able to fix threading issues through the web (people starting
a new subject by reply'ing on a previous post, fix threading for
mailreaders that don't support proper "In-Reply-To" threading.

- Unix mbox output (based on the db). That would make it easy to
upgrade, or to change to a different archiver.

- support for a 'view complete thread' (this would really be nice!)

- python based, because that would make it fit better with mailman
and will make it easier to install

- easy to use api for adding new messages (e.g. use it as an archiver
for wiki discussions, such as http://zwiki.org/GeneralDiscussion )

- be able to override message-view class (e.g. so that wiki's can
add wiki linking or similar features to the messages)

Regards,

PieterB

--
If your next pot of chili tastes better, it probably is
because of something left out, rather than added.