[Mailman-Developers] Re: Requirements for a new archiver

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Tue Oct 28 00:53:26 EST 2003

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 00:44:43 -0500
J C Lawrence <J> wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 19:16:35 -0500 Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org>
> wrote:

>> Which does point to an alternative direction -- maybe we don't need
>> any direct connection to an html archive.  Maybe the archiver should
>> just be a separate process that reads messages from the NNTP
>> interface a MM3 might export.  Just blue-skying here.

> +1

More simply I've come to want a clean abstraction in the work cases:
storage, indexing, presentation.  The three are different, largely
unrelated, and I see little reason (non in my case) to even have them
done by related or similar tools.  As such the questions come out to"

  What's an efficient way to store messages?

  What's an efficient way to retrieve messages by a primary index?

  What's an efficient way to build other indexes to that primary key?

  How do I want to present the data?

For me that came out to inn2, Message-IDs, We:Search, and a mix of a
MeoWWW derivative (HTTP) and NNTP straight to inn2.  The critical point
is that each bit of that amalgamation is independent and can be
trivially swapped out for something else that suits a local use case
better.

--
J C Lawrence