[Mailman-Developers] Re: Requirements for a new archiver

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Tue Oct 28 10:18:33 EST 2003

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 08:48:13 -0500
amk  <amk at amk.ca> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 28, 2003 at 12:53:26AM -0500, J C Lawrence wrote:

> SMARTarchiver would require that you have PostgreSQL; is adding that
> dependency OK?  Barry, what's your opinion?

I wouldn't consider it an acceptable dependency.  This is where things
like We:Search and the like come in (albeit We:Search is optimised for
far larger message stores than Mailman typically handles).  You get a
simple tool which does something simple, providing the basics, and which
can be easily extracted and replaced plugin-style should that be
desired.

Mailman is growing up.  It is rapidly becoming a message processing
system or framework, not just a mailing list manager.

--
J C Lawrence