[Mailman-Developers] Requirements for a new archiver

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Tue Oct 28 12:49:51 EST 2003

On Tue, 2003-10-28 at 00:41, J C Lawrence wrote:

> If the URL is predictably based on the Message-ID this is not a problem.

> Quite, this is how/why NNTP uses Message-IDs are unique indexing
> qualifiers.

Yep, and we'd have to do the same thing (ensure that Message-IDs are
unique).  Note that we sometimes get shit from people who complain about
Mailman's NNTP posting code modifying Message-IDs to adhere to the
stricter NNTP requirements.  But Mailman can't rely on the good graces
of remote mail tools to ensure globally unique Message-IDs, so it has to
check and munge if it gets a dup (or, it's within it's right to treat a
dup /as/ a dup, e.g. discarding it).