[Mailman-Developers] Requirements for a new archiver

John A. Martin jam at jamux.com
Wed Oct 29 13:28:56 EST 2003

Brad Knowles <brad.knowles at skynet.be> writes:

> At 3:06 PM -0500 2003/10/27, Kevin McCann wrote:
>
>>  I was thinking about using MHonarc to enhance the archive experience but
>>  it doesn't work with MySQL directly so Mail::Box just might be what the
>>  doctor ordered.
>
> 	No database handles "BLOB" (Binary Large OBject) storage
> 	well. Even high-end databases have problems in this area.
> 	IMO, this is a bad idea.
>
> 	Better would be to use a mailbox format that handles
> 	simultaneous multiple access reasonably well.  You can use
> 	c-client and mbx format, or MH format, or something else
> 	reasonably decent.

Hmm... Maildirs.  With just a bit of minor trickery the unique
filename created to receive a message as it arrives at Mailman might
be put into the saved rfc822 header (much like MTAs place a queue id),
or into the message trailer if you must, and perhaps could be
preserved in the filename as the message is moved/copied from one
directory to another and thereby providing a unique index that can be
included in the message Mailman puts on the wire.

        jam