[Mailman-Developers] Requirements for a new archiver

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui at plaidworks.com
Wed Oct 29 19:12:50 EST 2003

On Oct 29, 2003, at 2:28 PM, Peter C. Norton wrote:

> I may not have made it clear, but I'm focusing on the metadata.  Once
> you've parsed rfc822/2822, then it may become easier to have things in
> the database that can manipulate those types.  I.e. to do be able to
> do simple searches for a property of given arbitrary headers (w/o
> having to have a database schema that consists of a few known headers
> and "others" which you then have to treat as a blob or as text).

my only real worry is that from what I've seen, 99.99% of the time, the
user is going to want content searches. header stuff is fine, but of
really low priority in the scheme of things (necessary to put useful
things together, meaningless if you can't content/context search in
fulltext).

that's why I'm leaning, blob issues or no, towards full-text storage in
MySQL 4. Because if you can't easily chop up the message body content
and find the messages you want to deal with, elegant storage of the
headers is irrelevant...

I think you need that, too. But until you get a reasonable context
search for the message body, designing the rest is silly. And it seems
to me there are few better methods than dumping the text into MySQL and
letting it do the work. Compromises, tradeoffs and etc
notwithstanding...