[Mailman-Developers] Requirements for a new archiver

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Wed Oct 29 21:22:32 EST 2003

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 16:40:53 -0800
Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui at plaidworks.com> wrote:

> by the way, this statement is in conflict with my previous statemenet
> of "use cycbufs". I'm fully aware of that conflict, too. resolving it
> will be one of the big challenges.

cycbufs implement a filesystem-based heap with pool semantics.  (There's
a fair bit of literature on that space in the OS and application realm)
As such they are specifically tuned for the case where the number of
calls to malloc() are of a similar magnitude to the calls to free().
This makes sense in a netnews world where news articles expire
regularly, and in general as much data is added to the spool as is
removed from it.

Does that model really apply to list archives?  It doesn't for me.  I
may be unusual in this regard, but I generally consider list archives as
one-way systems: messages go in and never come out.

--
J C Lawrence