[Mailman-Developers] Requirements for a new archiver

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui at plaidworks.com
Thu Oct 30 00:16:06 EST 2003

On Oct 29, 2003, at 9:08 PM, Brad Knowles wrote:

> 	Bryan Costales and Eric Allman had this debate at InfoBeat/Mercury
> Mail.  Bryan said that he could write a better "simple" MTA that could
> handle the easy 80% and leave the hard 20% to sendmail.

There is no such thing as a simple MTA. This gets hairy quickly. Really
quickly.

you are much better off spending money on a good fast disk RAID (since
the chances that you'll win the lottery are on par with the chances
that your bottleneck is NOT disk I/O in mail sending) than on a
programmer to try to build fast MTAs.

> that none of the original Internet Mail Operations team members are
> left at AOL (almost all bugged out when the new mail server software
> came online), and I don't think any of the original Internet Mail
> Development team members are left, either.

And boy, does it show.