[Mailman-Developers] Requirements for a new archiver

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui at plaidworks.com
Thu Oct 30 00:31:51 EST 2003

On Oct 29, 2003, at 9:21 PM, J C Lawrence wrote:
> This is not a trivial space, but its also not an unknown space.  File
> versioning systems have been messing here for years with change keys
> and
> and signatures.  Ultimately it comes down to a shared transaction key.
> The old AT&T SCCS papers are a particularly good read in this regard.

How does this statement reconcile with Barry's not wanting to require
MySQL or PostgreSQL for Mailman because he doesn't want to layer on too
many dependencies to get Mailman running? We seem to be heading off
into places where the answer is "if we're lucky, it'll run on that
cluster of G5's at Uvirginia -- slowly".

Unless Barry wants to throw his simplicity requirements out the window,
we can't expect high performance filesystems, SANs, fiber optic RAID
connects, or for that matter, linux over windows over sgi over solaris
2.5. This stuff that's floating around is great, if we were writing an
enterprise-class, mega-bugger IS-supported system for a corporate data
center.

How's taht all relate to Mailman, anyway? Maybe we should refocus and
not wander down interesting but entirely philosophical ratholes?