[Mailman-Developers] Requirements for a new archiver

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Thu Oct 30 00:40:59 EST 2003

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 21:31:51 -0800
Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui at plaidworks.com> wrote:
> On Oct 29, 2003, at 9:21 PM, J C Lawrence wrote:

> How's taht all relate to Mailman, anyway? Maybe we should refocus and
> not wander down interesting but entirely philosophical ratholes?

Agreed, but then I've said my piece several times on those scores.

We need a requirements definition for the abstractions for storage,
indexing and presentation.  I've already stated my bits there.  So far
there's been neither argument or commentary, just a bunch of
cross-purposes violent agreement between Brad and me.

While I like a netnews model as it suits my needs, I really don't care
what the store is so long as it solves the problems I've laid out.  We
need a priori key determination, a collision policy, key handoffs to an
indexer (which could be NULL in Chuq's MySQL case), and an
improved/adapted presentation layer.  I've already said my bits there
and proposed what I see as the cheap, easy, incremental improvement
course: Twisted's NNTP supports for storage, Message IDs for keys, a
variant best-effort detection and rewriting policy for collisions, and a
MeoWWW derivative for HTML presentation/posting.

Counters?

--
J C Lawrence