[Mailman-Developers] Requirements for a new archiver

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Thu Oct 30 17:58:19 EST 2003

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 17:51:27 -0500
Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-10-29 at 13:30, J C Lawrence wrote:

>> 2) Message IDs are not guaranteed globally unique, but the collision
>> rate can be manageable/acceptable in a large number of deployment
>> cases.

> Ah, which reminds me, elaborating on my strawman, the answers to "when
> should Mailman rewrite Message-ID on posts" should be: Never, Only to
> resolve duplicates, Always.

Does that mean that we keep a database of all Message-IDs that all lists
on that host have ever seen?  If so, what happens when a single message
is CC'ed to multiple lists?  NetNews servers require global uniqueness
across all newsgroups.

I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that we have to rewrite all
Message-IDs whenever the internal archive is enabled.

--
J C Lawrence